About the Writers

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Winter Favorites!

Chilly wind and dry air mean fall and winter is all about hydration, hydration, hydration. I have dry lips and weird combination (I guess?) skin that is alternately very dry and very oily, and the things on this list have been great for me, so if you're looking for some winter-worthy products these are definitely worth a try! There are also some non-beauty items on here that are also ah-mazing.

1. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm, $7
Available at CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Safeway, Wegmans

My favorite is Rose, which really does make my lips a perfect rosy color. They're not quite as hydrating as the original lip balm, but they do the job better than any other hydrating lipstick I've tried for my very dry lips.
(image credit)

2. Korres Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturizing & Brightening Cream, $35
Available on Amazon, Korres.com, Sephora
For those of you worried about scent (my peers!), this moisturizer is NOT rose-scented! I like this one because it reminds me a lot of the inexplicably discontinued L'Occitane Almond-Apple Concentrate, which was just light enough to satisfy my weird super dry/super oily (it's not even combination, it's just one extreme or the other everyday) skin. It's also great to mix with foundation so that it stays on longer and doesn't flake in the cold air.
(image credit)

3. Nu Skin SunRight Bodyblock SPF 30, $14
Amazon
This sunblock is amazing. It doesn't oil up my face, actually goes on and feels like light, moisturizing lotion, and doesn't smell! The bottle is pretty big, and will last at least several months. It's so "unoily" that I can put it on over make-up without messing up my foundation.
(image credit)

4. Aveda Smoothing Fluid, $28
Aveda, Amazon
Cold mornings and nights mean hot showers, and that in addition to the dry air means my hair is especially brittle and wiry this time of year. Putting this fluid on damp hair makes it silky and soft and protects it at the same time. Another plus: one bottle seriously lasts forever. I've had mine for months and it is not even half empty yet.
(image credit)

5. Aloe Vera gel, $5-7 (or even just buy your own Aloe Vera plant!)
Most drugstores, Amazon, drugstore.com
There is truly nothing better for blisters and wind burns.
(image credit)

6. Joseph & Lyman cashmere sweater, anywhere from $15-40 used
These are the softest sweaters I have ever, ever worn. Designed by the brothers who founded Bloomingdale's, these sweaters aren't sold on Bloomingdale's website and there are really only used items on Ebay (my friend found hers in a vintage store) and are mostly in large men's sizes, but they are very cute over leggings on the days you just want to feel all kinds of comfortable. Trust, me, they are absolutely the softest things you will ever wear. 
(image credit)

7. Butter London in "All Hail the Queen", $15
Available at Sephora, Butterlondon.com

No, it isn't really hydrating or anything, but I just had to put this in here because I think it's a great color for when the sky gets a little gloomy and the weather a little wintry. It is calming and festive, fun and sophisticated, unique and versatile. There's really nothing quite like it, so it is worth the money. Bonus: it's free of toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP!
(image credit)

Please share your winter essentials in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...