About the Writers

Monday, October 14, 2013

Inspiration Monday: Running for a Cause

Happy Monday Q fans!

This weekend I had the opportunity to run the Long Beach Half Marathon with Team Victory of the Marfan Foundation. The Marfan Foundation is an organization catered to help those with Marfan's Syndrome, a life threatening genetic disorder that affects vital organs and tissues in your body. To learn more about Marfan Syndrome, go to www.marfan.org or click here.

This organization is particularly important to me because I lost my best friend, Jon, due to complications of Marfans last August 3rd. My best friend had no idea he had Marfans until his family found out after his autopsy. It feels so rewarding to be able to raise money for this cause, fight for victory, spread awareness of the disease through my involvement, and do all this for my best friend Jon <3. 


Jon and I have been friends since we were 5 when we met in kindergarten. We share the same birthday! We grew up together in a BIG group of the bestest friends with the most loving individuals! He was our best friend, brother, and most importantly he was our leader We always looked up to him because he was so kind-hearted, genuine, and compassionate. He lived each day embracing life with a contagious positive attitude. He truly was larger than life! I can't stress enough how phenomenal Jon was. He had his way of making everyone he came across feel SUPER special.
Simply, Jon was a blessing. He touched my life in countless ways and continues to put more meaning each day. His death was a major tragic event in our group's lives, but together we continue to live for the life and spirit of Jon! 

Jon and I at 5 years old. 

Celebrating our 21st birthday together last December 9, 2012. 


Me with other members of the Marfan Foundation and Ethan (front middle) who has Marfans. 
With my best friends/running buddies, Jenna and Keith.
Nothing better than being greeted at the finish line
with my best friend's picture waving in the air!



I can't stress enough how fulfilling and worthwhile it is to run for victory! The 13.1 miles was worth it. 

If there is any particular cause that means something to you, don't be afraid to look up of an existing club, foundation, or ways to volunteer! There are so many gratifying benefits to volunteering!
Hope you enjoyed my little Monday inspiration :) . Looking forward to another Q-ful week of posts by our lovely team. 


XOXO,
QT Mariel 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...